Monday, July 9, 2012

This is how we do it

I've had some requests for more of my daily life. Every PCV is different, but as a Sustainable Ag volunteer we all have some things in common. So this is how we do it :)

Wake up in the morning feelin' like P Diddy, grab my glasses I'm out the door, I'm 'bout to hit bush city, before I leave brush my teeth with a litre of salts 'cause the next time I'm in my hut there can't be no halts . OK thank you Ke$ha but really on to the story. (also that was a reference to diarrhea

PCV memory is like that of a person with Alzheimer's. There are those of us who manage without an agenda, and those of us who spend half our days looking for our keys. I'm somewhere in between. I have an agenda, but I also have 3 keys in random places to find at any time when I have lost (usually temporarily) my normal set. I write down everything from meetings to clean your room, to text Eric.

Generally, I am split between my village, my Master farmers village (not all PCVs have one, and some are in their own village), and the regional house. In village I wake up and greet my family as I get water. Then I go for a jog. Sometimes if I'm working at the Master Farm I'll just jog there, it's like 6-7 Km. If I stay in my village I will then either clean various things in my room, visit my counterparts, work in my garden, or like now write a blog which I will later post when I get to the city. I also take the hours of 12-3 for cooking my lunch, napping and listening to music with my brothers. Sometime I do non-sus ag stuff like go to the health post, or talk to families about malaria.

If I do go to the Master Farm I will help make vegetable and tree nurseries, survey for insect problems, and make future plans with my awesome site mates and Fatou. We spend a good deal of time there just talking and waiting for her delicious yet stomach breaking lunches.

This is us seeding her farm

After nap/music time, I will go back out to the fields. If I don't have field work I spend a lot of time chillin' with the ladies as they shell peanuts and gossip. Sometimes they gossip about me until I pick up on what's going on. I think it's there way of seeing if I am paying attention.

In the evening I enjoy holding Fatou my little sister or playing with her and Bussa my niece until one of my moms yells at us for too much giggling. Then I read until I am sleepy enough to pass out. As of late there has been a camel spider in my room. It will run up to the light crawl up my arms or legs and freak me out. They don't bite but they are fast and creepy looking. I killed one last night very gently so I could take pictures. I know I am an Entomologist after all right!



The regional house is where we go to use the internet, have meetings, get supplies in the surrounding city, and socialize. There is also an office in Kaffrine which is closer to me. I find that some visits to the house end with me getting a lot of work done while others end with having only done the socializing aspect. I write it off as necessary for mental health. It is so nice just to talk to other volunteers about what they are doing and brainstorm what we can do together. It's also been the location of some pretty sweet stress relief sessions that carry on to the wee hours of the morning.
This lady is the JAM! She is a bouncer/bartender and protects me from all of Kaffrine ;)

There are days when as a volunteer with more time on the clock I go to other volunteers villages and help them give trainings. I have done this with Lorraine in January which I wrote about and again just this week. I have a new site mate named Ann. She asked me to come and help her get a garden going. We showed her family some techniques and planted a nice vegetable nursery. As a health/ environmental education volunteer the garden should be very useful to her.


AND THAT'S HOW WE DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment