Monday, July 9, 2012

Senegal to Americ and back


I had not initially planned on a trip to America during my service. So many things were happening in my family in the month of May that I simply could not resist the use of my vacation time. Thanks again to mom and dad for fronting the travel costs! I was very excited to go as I made my reservations. I looked forward to my cousin Lea's wedding, Sara's 16th birthday, my mother birthday and mother's day, as well as Memorial day weekend. Though as the time approached I got a little scared. I hadn't been home in over 600 days. Just under 2 years, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be the same person. Would I randomly talk in Wolof, eat with my hands, or make an off color comment? When I finally saw American soil though all my worries were gone and I was glad to be home.

Miss these guys every day!
While I was there I went to the above mentioned events as well as so much more. I talked to elementary, middle and high school classes, went 4-wheeling, canoeing, shooting, boating with dad, 2 concerts (one at which I crowd surfed to the stage!), and so much time with family and friends. It was so great to see my brothers and sisters and how much my nieces and nephews had grown up. I caught up with my cousins, and spent a lot of time with Sara. I also got to see my best friend Jess who flew in from Portland just for me :). The ease with which people can travel was refreshing.


I had some great days working with my dad and seeing wildlife. Everything was so green! My family vacation to Lake Cumberland was also a highlight of the trip I won't forget. We went out on the lake and saw Mammoth Caves. We also stayed out late to see a moon-bow over a waterfall. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen.


I relished as much meat and cheese as I could. I even took time to cook some Senegalese food for my family. I finally had Penn Station and Skyline, omg soooo good! I got to eat at some other great restaurants too, and was fully satisfied by the time I had to go. I was there for a whole month and it was just enough time to see almost everyone. I did miss my friends and family in Senegal though.






I knew my friends were waiting for me here and that my family was hoping I would actually come back lol! I had some trouble getting back home but I'm not even getting into that until it is resolved. There will either be a future posting of Peace Corps caring for its' volunteers, or how little they really care, we will see. When I finally got here I was so happy to see my friends and it was so great giving gifts to my family. It is so cute to see my little baby siblings in frilly American dresses. Kids are still coming to my hut this day asking for more toys. I have some hidden in my trunk that I'm waiting to hand out so they aren't too overloaded. I also stocked up on some goodies for my friends and I, so don't worry I'm not starving yet!


There were a lot of feelings I had in America that I hadn't expected to have. For example, I was really annoyed when people asked about the animals in my area. Yes, I live in Africa. No, there are not large animals like lions and elephants here. They are all being wiped out. Habitat loss and poaching are clearing the plant of these mega charismatic beasts. I was shocked to find that people had no idea that many of these animal aren't just endangered but some of them are down to less than 100 individuals in the wild. 100 individuals is considered to be the bare minimum of animals needed to continue a species due to the need for genetic recombination.

I was also disgusted by the wastefulness. Half full plates being thrown away, gigantic portions well beyond what is necessary to survive, or even to live healthily, and all of the plastic. There is so much excessive packaging on everything. Why do all the fruits and veggies need containers? I hope I find a nearby farmers market when I get home. The first and only trip I took to the mall I almost had a panic attack. The consumerism is disgusting and so many things are completely unnecessary. They seemed to me the perfect symbol of American laziness. Why is America obese? Maybe because we have machines to do everything for us so we have more time to watch TV. I'm sorry, but seriously after a week I wanted to throw the TV off the roof. There is so much out there and so many things to do. I don't understand watching a box for 4-6 hours a day. I didn't own a TV in college and now I'm glad I didn't or I may have become just as addicted.

I was also appalled by the excessive use of energy. Lights left on during the day, TV's an radios on that no one is listening to, car rides just out of boredom, and I know this is crazy but it seemed weird to me all the fuel used to keep the yard “pretty”. I don't mean to rip on my homeland, but I hope when I return I keep the ideals I have learned here and don't abuse the resources we have such easy access to at home just because I can. People in Senegal have a minimal trash system and no recycling. I recycled everything at home and see no excuse for people who don't. I want to enjoy a good quality of life while I am alive and I don't mind working a little to ensure that future generations can have that too.

Overall, I feel I must end with this; Despite the things I don't like about America I still can't wait to get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment