Sunday, July 22, 2012

The rains are HERE!!

In Senegal the dry season is just that, dry. It is hard to find water for animals and gardens. If a village only has wells all of the water must be drawn. In villages which have advanced slightly, pipe systems exist. Water must still be filled into bucket or large pans and carried to the desired location but it is surely easier than pulling from a well. My grandmother has permanent scars on her hands from pulling so much water. Very few people own a water hose. They are not of high quality, are hard to attach to the spout head, and are generally only for large scale farms. I am lucky to be in a village with a water system. This ensures our water to be cleaner and provides easier access.


Its a great relief when the rainy season comes. Though it does not come soon enough for all. The vegetation is greatly reduced until the rains start. My area looks like a desert and many of the domesticated animals die. It only takes one or two big rains before everything bursts to life. Animals have water, large scale grain and bean fields are planted, and millions of insects and other creatures begin to reveal themselves. One day while jogging I had to stop to photo a group of frogs that had gathered in a large pot hole in the road. They were just doing there thing, and being very noisy about it!


I love the seasonal pools and rivers that form. In these you can see animals coming for a drink, birds coming to eat all the insects that have gathered, and more often than not a lot of naked kids having one of the best days of their childhoods. It's a beautiful sound to hear all of the kids laughing and playing in a resource we take for granted at home. It's also really nice to have them out of my hut haha. These seasonal water holes can be troublesome. Last rainy season my site mate and I had to walk through one to get to her village. When it starts to get over your waist and you can't see to the bottom, you really begin to wonder what else is in there with you. I personally recall the movie Anaconda. I'm lucky to be next to what is considered a pretty good road. In the rains it is unlikely that I'll be stuck at site. I may occasionally be stuck in a mud hole, but I must say the guys here are great about getting out and pushing. I have only had to push one car, and I chalk it up to an experience I would never have had in an American road.


I also enjoy not having to water my garden. If it goes more than 3-4 days without rain I will do it. The months of July to September generally have rain often enough that I can be a little lazy. The constant high humidity helps keep the ground from drying out too fast. I have tried to show villagers this is especially true when garden beds are covered in peanut shells. The shells are often not used for anything and they improve the soil quality. Every once in a while a peanut plant grows. I consider that a plus as well as it can serve as a trap crop for nematodes, that would otherwise go after my vegetables.



There are some other major disadvantages to the season. Hand washed clothes may not dry. Things mold quickly. Fungus grows everywhere. On my bed, in my garden, even on my skin. Mites have infested my mattress and my whole body itches. I just put it out on sunny days and it seems to at least knock them down for a while. I am not fond at all of all the weird skin things. I have gotten used to them though. I know when a blister is from too much sun, a blister beetle, or the ones I get that go away after a week or so without much damage. I don't know what causes them but they are pretty harmless. I was afraid my chest was going to have permanent scars from a group of them, but after time and a little more sun the marks faded. The worst are the never healing wounds. We are slow healers here. Our immune systems are not quite up to par. I have seen some pretty bad wounds. My current ones really are nothing. It is well known among the PCV community that you take care of your wounds in the rainy season. I have to disinfect it daily and occasionally apply some antibacterial ointment. They can really get out of hand. This one is two weeks old, and much better than it started. I must say regardless of it all, I love the rainy season. It reminds me of home to hear the thunder storms, and fall asleep to the rain. (It's also a sign the food will get better soon!)




No comments:

Post a Comment