Sunday, July 31, 2011

America Day!


I had the brilliant idea to fulfill my Peace Corps Goal of sharing American Culture by having a few hours dedicated to our food music and sports. My friends came from far and away to help me. We baked cookies of many sorts, banana bread, and cornbread. I also gave a lot of candy that my family sent me. I mean I didn't really need all of it for myself though it was a tough choice lol! They went a little crazy as they always do. They even fought over the foods they didn't like just because they were crazed and wanted something free. Lauren and I had enough for everyone but I think a lot of people didn't get any because they were shoving and yelling and stealing from each other. It made me mad in the end and I yelled at them for being impatient and pushy and gave the rest to my family.
My fellow PCVs Andrew and Kourtney made a music display showing that some of our roots in music came from Africa and that we have a lot of singers of African origin. He also talked about Bob Marley and the Beatles. We had a portable speaker blasting the good tunes the whole time.
Finally Amy and Albert played sports with the kids. They had football, baseball, Frisbee, and a basketball which we didn't really use. Some of the kids were really good! I let them keep the Frisbees and gave away squirt guns. I had them do a race for the last one and one very happy little girl got there first. I'm glad she didn't get hurt, like I said when free things are involved they go crazy. It was a lot of fun! Thanks to all the other PCVs who helped me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment