Sunday, July 31, 2011

Master Farmer Fails

Peace corps puts large dollar sums into a program under the title of the Master Farmer Program. This project has had its' success and failures, or so I hear. Unfortunately I am only familiar with the shortcoming of this project and the lack of administratively applied consequences. The ideal master farmer would have a field which PC would support by building fencing, buying seeds, pesticides, and giving technical training. They are expected to share their knowledge with the community and improve agriculture overall in the area. I know one such farmer who is very motivated and seems to understand the importance and benefits of the program. The farmer who was chosen for me to work with does not like to work or get dirty. Those are very close to her exact words.They all have a protocol to follow in order to keep the farms the same and compare them to make success and failure more obvious. She chooses to ignore nearly all of these rules and utilize the grant money for her own gain without making demos. For example we put in a vegetable nursery for her to transplant, and a live fence was started with various tree types. We trained her on the subjects and she has decided to sell the nursery instead of doing the demo work. She also burnt our live fence. Peace Corps will not fire her now bc they have invested too much so it falls on my shoulders to deal with a lazy insubordinate, well you know me and what I'd call her.I have no choice but to 1) do her work for her 2) go there every day and be a dictator, I don't have the time fo that , or 3) join her in her laziness go three days a week and if she doesnt work well at least I'll get a good lunch.


On top are the peppers she refuses to transplant below are the trees she burned. Great work :(

No comments:

Post a Comment