Thursday, June 9, 2011

Show time!

This past weekend I participated in a skit with some of the teens here that belong to an English club. They had been working for a few months on mixing English they were learning and wolof into a skit. The skit was a parody of Senegalese life. It was also to promote girls to stand up for themselves. I was the second wife of Elhadje and his first wife Isata thought that he should start doing the cooking. He agrees but as a conservative woman I get in an argument with her stating that it is not a mans job to cook. There is a lot more going on in the play than just my scene. One character says if he ever sees a woman praying he will kill himself. The play ends with a woman leading prayer and him killing himself. Many people laughed and were able to see some humor in their cultural ties. It was great to work with the kids and I hope I get another chance in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment