Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jazz Festival in Saint Louis

The weekend of June 9-12 there was a festival in the more northern part of the country. Saint Louis. This city is known for it's fishing industry and colonial French culture. I know it as pickpocket land as at least 3 PCVs got robbed. However, it is a pretty sweet city and I'll be sure to visit it again before I leave. The fishing boats are the coolest looking boat and it was cool to see men carrying buckets of fish on their heads the way women usually carry water here. I went with a group and we all stayed in the upstairs rooms of a Senegalese family house for the price of $8 a night. It was a really nice place if you have access to my facebook you should check it out. Other volunteers stayed in hotels and we had fun visiting each other and ventured into the city.

 There were a lot of cool shops and some very artsy places like I haven't seen in other areas. I bought the coolest postcard ever which my family will eventually receive. They also had some of the countries only restaurants considered high quality by American standards. I had seafood like every day :)

The beach was also beautiful with so much life. There were lots of little snails and crabs. I found a coddle fish bone which was really cool. It is always nice to see a clean beach, I've seen worse by far in Cali. No oil washing  up on these shores.

The last night I stayed there I we all went to the same club. It was like an American invasion. Homosexuality is illegal here so there were guys trying to pull apart any girls who were dancing together. This is the club where everyone got pick pocketed. It was a blast though. One of the PCVs took over the DJ booth and it was so awesome to dance to music not entirely made of drums.

As for the Jazz, well I missed that this year. A good reason to go back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment