Sunday, October 31, 2010

Now I’m a real volunteer!

After another week in the village of Thieneba I returned to the training center. There we did some final meetings on what we are here for and discussed swear in and install. Swear in is when we became official volunteers as opposed to trainees. We went to the capitol city, Dakar, and had the ceremony at the US Ambassadors house. There were speeches by our trainers, the ambassador, and various other important officials. It was mostly in French so I didn’t understand it. We got our official IDs and had awesome snacks afterwards. There was tuna and caviar, mini hamburgers, and brownies. It will be the only time for the next two years that I’ll have any of those I’m sure. Then we went to Club Atlantiqe or as the volunteers refer to it “the American Club”. There is a swimming pool, good food, and beer. It was great!
            We had one last night in Thies at the training center and then we went to our regional houses. The 60 Americans that I have been with the last two months are now spread across the country. There were about 20 of us in my region. For three days I stayed in Kaolack. We shopped, ate, and drank. The only reason I mention beer is that since it is a predominantly Muslim society alcohol is available in the cities but very rarely near volunteers’ sites, so it’s a real treat to have a beer. Volunteers can stay in the city at regional houses across the country for free. We have been given a challenge to stay out of the regional houses until Thanksgiving in order to integrate into the community instead of hanging out with other Americans. There was plenty of time to shop but shopping sucks! First of all imagine shopping for your new home with no car. You can only buy what you can carry at a time. Transport is more expensive if you have baggage even for a car ride. People also like to steal out of your bags if they get put on the roof of the car. In the city there are pick pockets every where! One of the volunteers got picked while we were there and caught the guy in the act. He gave back her wallet without a fight.
            We were installed over a few days after that three or four at a time. A car would come to the house we would load up the people and massive amount of stuff that was purchases and then a PC staff member would take them to their sites. I had a fever and some stomach issues the day of my install so it really sucked, especially when we got lost in the bush for half an hour. I made it to my hut though and found it to be unfinished. It had a roof and doors though so it was good enough. My family was very excited to see me and many people in the town came to visit. It is a medium sized village of maybe 1000 people. There is a robinet in my dads’ backyard for water and there is no electricity. There are seven boutiques which sell soap, tea, sugar, candy, batteries, and a few veggies. I did find a guy who sells eggs out of his back door though. My family makes my lunch and dinner so it’s not a big deal. I get rice with peanut sauce and bitter tomaotoes, a veggie they have here, for lunch and millet and milk for dinner. Every day it’s the same thing. I can buke 20 kilometers to Kaffrine a small city and get anything else I need. I have to go all the way to Kaolack for an ATM though and that is the only way I can get the stipend I receive to live and travel on. I get about $40 a week. I give my dad $8 a week for food and water the rest I use for travel, breakfast, a tutor, and a little will be getting sent home for my student loan interestL.
            I am not sure yet how many brothers and sisters I have. I know I have 2 moms and a grandma. I have at least 9 brothers and sisters all younger again. There are like 10 huts in my compound and there are women with kids and husbands who I am somehow related to but haven’t figured it out yet. It’s so confusing here because women call their brother and sisters kids their kids. My dad calls people his mom and dad out of respect People also call other people uncle out of respect so it can be hard to tell what real relations are especially when we all live together.
            A big difference between here and training is that I have my own hut and side yard which is fenced in. It gives me a lot of privacy compared to the last place. I will even plant a few of my own veggies and watermelon back there so I can improve my diet. It’s hard to buy things and not share them but I just can’t afford to buy my family fruit and veggies every day. I hide what I buy for myself the best I can so that they don’t have to see it and wish they had it. They ask me for stuff all the time. Today they asked if I would buy tea and milk. I said no because I pay for food already. I’m not heartless I bought them tea last week and bananas just yesterday. They seriously ask if they can have anything they see, including the clothed you’re wearing. I have not gone a day without someone asking if they could have one thing or another out of my room or on my person. Its the culture though, here that isn't an offensive line of questioning.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Em. Your story is a little crazy, but mostly amazing. So... way humid, huh? That's what I thought. You do look a little extra shiny in your pics. haha I miss you lots & am so proud of your accomplishments! Love you! ~Jess~

    ReplyDelete