Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My First African Style Birthday


For my birthday I wanted to have a big dinner with my family in Thieneba and my trainee friends. In order to do this I knew I was going to have to find out where to buy food and how much it should cost. I talked with my little sisters and they took me and Eric to a chicken coop. Chicken is the safest meat here in my opinion so that’s what I wanted; unfortunately they were only selling eggs. We then went to a stand on the side of the road with what I assume was a half a cow on a table. There were flies all over and I had no idea how long the meat had been there. It was around 1pm and probably 80 degrees. I asked for 2 kilos (~4 lbs) and got a lot of bone, fat, and some meat for a total of less than $8. It was more meat than my sisters had ever seen someone buy at once and they thought I was joking at first. It really wasn’t that much meat when you consider I was feeding like 10 people, but $8 is a lot of money here, even for me.
            Then we went down the street and got potatoes, onions, and soda. The cola was the most expensive thing I bought all day. We took the food to my house and my family began preparing it for me. Peeling potatoes and onions, and chopping the meat into smaller pieces. They then of course fried it all in a huge pot of oil. French fries first, then the onions for a sauce, and finally they boiled the beef. It was delicious. Eric brought over some bread to top it off, and it hit the spot. They all put on their best clothes for me and the kids danced around me after dinner singing happy birthday in English. It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment