Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Killer Kids

So the other day while in the village my fellow trainees and I decided to celebrate our language test with a little whiskey, snacks, and Simpsons on the computer. We went to the local school which we have a key to. There were a bunch of kids in the yard plying soccer but we did't pay much attention to them. It was very hot in the school so we opened a window. As a few kids began to watch through the window they got louder and louder and so I shut the window in their face. I do love kids after all. They began to throw rocks at the school. After a little time had passed my friend had to pee. She went outside and I stood guard as some kids came up to where we were. We talked to them a little bit as they braked from their soccer game. When we decided we wanted to watch some more tv they of course wanted to watch. I knew this was a bad idea and had no desire to watch tv with 25 kids under age13. The other trainees are not so mean and told them if they could watch quietly they could look through the window. They couldn't be quiet and were really annoying so we shut the door and windows again. They began to throw rocks at the school again and put a stick through the outside of the door which locked us inside, with no adults knowing where we were as we had all told them we were at each others houses since Muslims don't drink. Eventually one kid was bribed by the promise of peanuts to take the stick out of the door. We didn't give him any peanuts and told them they were all bad kids. They started yelling "fuck you" in English and "I'll kill you" in Wolof. They threw rocks and actually hit me with one. Finally, my favorite trainee friend decided we needed backup. He went to the nearest house and in the small amount of language and lots of gesturing we can do told an adult what was going on. The adult asked what kids were doing this and began to beat them one by one. First by hand and then with a stick. the kids didn't come back to the school. I am more scared of children in this country than adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment