Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Working with Kids

In the past I have not been interested in working with kids.They are loud and dirty and hard to control. The kids here are all of those to the most extreme extent. However, I broke out of my shell and ended up having two amazing experiences.
The first was a day I gave my brothers and sisters puzzles from America and stuff to color with. They even got some American toys my mom had sent like a frisbee, squirt guns, and candy. They were initially very afraid of the pop rocks but after they realized they weren't going to get hurt they liked them. It was so much fun and an experience they never get to have. There were about 25 of them there and I never lost my cool :)
The next thing I did was a school garden. The kids were between the ages of 7-15 I think. It's really hard for me to tell. The teachers did a great job controlling the students and I think they all learned something from it. We had a lot of fun talking about how to make the soil strong and the teachers have the lessons plans from  my previous training so that they can use the garden to teach math, science, nutrition, and basic agricuture/ecology. I plan in the near future to help them make a tree nursery and a moringa intensive bed. A moringa intensive bed is a lot of trees grown really close together just for leaf use. The leaves are really nutritious and hopefully will improve the health of the students.
I am in hopes that by working with the kids ideas will start changing from the ground up. It might be 10 years but hopefully this generation has a better quality of life than their parents and grandparents. The school will sell the vegetables to buy more seeds for the next season as well as supplies for the students.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment