Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So like what do you do there?

I decided to write this blog as a generalization of what my days are like here. I travel a lot for work and a little for fun. When I am in village I wake up, water my garden, talk to my family, and then get on whatever activities I have that day. I might need to make some compost, plant a vegetable nursery, visit the school, or work with my master farmer. I like to take walks around my village in my spare time or play with my sisters. I go to the boutique a few times a week like you all go to Krogers or whatever. I need laundry soap, food, and sometimes candy for the little kids if they help me in the garden. I sit and talk with my moms a lot when I'm bored. I also always seem to have some meeting with either my dad, my counterpart, or some farmer. I like to do my laubdry in the mornings while its still cool. In the evenings we just sit around. There is no electric so no TV, no light, and really not much to do except wish it was below 100 degrees. When I travel out of site I help other volunteers with their projects, or go to meetings to meet people who can help my area. I go to the Peace Corps house in Kaolack a couple times a month to hang with volunteers and watch movies. Also to use the internet and free phone! It's the best time to have a long chat with your boss about a project, when you can be looking at all your materials and it's FREE! Soon I'm going to a jazz festival in the northern part of the country so yay! When I'm gone I am always worried about 2 things. The death/destruction of my garden and the death/destruction of my cat. So  I'm always glad to go home and clean up my hut and chill. While I'm gone so much dust gets in my hut it's so gross! I know I do lots of other stuff but I just can't think of any of it now....I have read like 10-15 books since I've been here development is slow work. You can't make crops grow any faster and you can't overload people with too much information at once. I guess my life here isn't all that exciting but TIA -- this is Africa.

2 comments:

  1. Emily, it's Neil Eckstein. I saw your blog link on facebook and read through it. What you are doing is AWESOME! I am jealous as hell! How did you get involved with the peace corps? Where do you get finances to volunteer? Sponsorship? Donations? I have so many questions...

    Would you mind sending me a line via email? I would love to hear more about what you do!

    neil.eckstein@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I cant be more proud of you! :) Keep up the amazing work that you are doing! I am hoping to get into something similar also, fingers crossed for that :D Take care and Best wishes!!

    Love,
    Poornima

    ReplyDelete