Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tamxarit- New Years December 6th

This is the holiday celebrating the Muslim New year. It is celebrated much like other big holidays here with abig oily dinner and lots of tea drinking. There was one big difference though. Everyone under 25 or so cross dressed. Yea, it was amazing! My brother wore a bra, girls tank top, and skirt. My sisters wore various mens clothing and used ash to make beards on their faces. After getting all dressed up it was time to parade around town in their costumes while of course beating a drum. It was the first time I staed up with my family after midnight. I thought the whole thing was especially ironic as homosexuality is illegal here. I also couldn't figure out why the tradition had started in the first place. Unfortunately I had no camera at the time so you will all just have to use your imagiations!

No comments:

Post a Comment