Thursday, March 10, 2011

WAIST- West African Intramural Softball Tournament

This is a time for volunteers to relax and see people from other countries and regions. It started all business with an all volunteer conference to meet NGO contacts, and then it was to the pool! After a day of sunning most volunteers went to their home stays in the city. These are French or American people who volunteered to allow us to stay in their homes and feed us a few meals, all the while knowing what we were going to be doing all day and night. That would be having fun however you like! The first night we had a talent show and it showed that PCVs can do a lot more than play in the sand! There are some very talented singers/jokers here. The next morning it was bright and early to the American Club for softball games. Each team had their own uniforms. My region were all dressed as ballerinas as you can see I didn't exactly put as much work into mine as some others did, but I look at this years as practice. After this first day our region was taken out of the competitive league as we were more into having fun and goofing off than playing a real game and that really annoys competitive people. I am competitive when I'm good at something. I'm not good at softball. I told them to put me in a position where I could do the least damage. They gave me second base one inning. It was just sad. That night the US Marines in Dakar hosted a dance party for us. I was pretty tired from the day and didn't make it all night, it was pretty cold for Senegal since we were so close to the ocean. The next day was more softball! We did pretty good. I was so sunburned from the first day that I had to alter my costume to cover more of my body.
This was a fun filled day and I ate a philly cheese steak mmmm so good. I had forgotten food like that. Our host family made us amazing dinners as well. One night we had lasagna and another night we had smoked salmon. THey gave us cereal, eggs, bread and cheese each morning. All out of the goodness of their hearts. That night we had a dance party at Club Oceanium. It was fabulous...I think. I only made it until 2 that night, but they had prepared a nice "drunk tank" so I could sleep until my roomates for the weekend were ready to go. The last day we slept in and went to the pool. It was a day of relaxing and reminding each other of what we had done over the last two days. Then we had a nice dinner and I called it donesies and went to bed early so I could return to my village the next day. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait till next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment