Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hard to Stay Healthy

Health is a major issue here whether it is due to lack of food causing malnutrition or lack of knowledge on germ and parasite transmission. I have not witnessed malnutrition yet in my time here as I have been relatively sheltered. My family does not often wash their hands properly and some people do not wash their hands at all. They wash their hands out of a bucket before eating dinner with their hands. They put food on the ground and still eat it. My little brother is always sick with congestion and a cough and throws up every other day at least. He coughs and sneezes on food which we all are meant to eat and is allowed to touch whatever he wants. He has been fed from a spoon which was then put into my food or drink. My family sees nothing wrong with any of this but wonders why I get sick. This is a lack of knowledge on disease transmission and not their fault. I do not have the words yet to teach them what is going on.
            I have had both bacterial and parasitic intestinal infections. The bacteria was no doubt due to bad food preparation practices on my family’s part. Parasites are transmitted through contaminated water and feces. I may have gotten them from under bleaching my water or from eating fruit which was washed with contaminated water. If I want to remain healthy here I must be more diligent about refusing things which have not been washed in filtered water and must avoid contact with my little brother at all costs.
            People here cannot afford to be on prophylaxis for malaria and only some can afford bed nets. There are also vaccines for many of the infectious diseases here which cannot be afforded. This contributes to the number of people whom are ill and unable to work on the farm or earn money in other ways. Providing people with sustainable agriculture techniques can improve yields and long term productivity of farms. With a healthy diet and increased income there is more money for vaccines and more time for education on disease transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment